About the Department
The Department of Geology was started as an undergraduate department in the year 1959 in an outhouse belonging to Zoology Department before occupying the KBR Hall in 1963. In that year, B.Sc. (Hons/Major) course was also introduced in the department. The M.Sc. course was started in 1986 under Gauhati University. It received the financial assistance from the DST, Govt. of India under its FIST programme. The department also received fund from the UGC under the scheme ‘Basic Scientific Research (BSR)’. The laboratories of the department have sound infrastructure for carrying out Ph.D. research. At present, the department has ten faculty members as well as three office staff.
The Department is shifted to State of the art 4 storeyed building, that has been constructed with the financial grant from the North Eastern Council (NEC), Shillong (Meghalaya) and the Government of Assam.
